Monday 6 December 2010

The Land of Counterpane

The Land of Counterpane

by Robert Louis Stevenson

When I was sick and lay a-bed, 
I had two pillows at my head, 
And all my toys beside me lay, 
To keep me happy all the day. 

And sometimes for an hour or so 
I watched my leaden soldiers go, 
With different uniforms and drills, 
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills; 

And sometimes sent my ships in fleets 
All up and down among the sheets; 
Or brought my trees and houses out, 
And planted cities all about. 

I was the giant great and still 
That sits upon the pillow-hill, 
And sees before him, dale and plain, 
The pleasant land of counterpane.


Today Elianna has been sick. It began on the night of her birthday - a raging sore throat & cold. I suppose all that sugary birthday cake did not help!
This morning, I made her up a wee bed on the sofa with quilts & a hot water bottle, whilst Rose & I headed out into the snow. (My husband works at home)






















Once back at home, I built a fire & made chicken broth for lunch. The girls have been enjoying hot honey & lemon drinks all day. Very easy to make - the juice of a lemon, a dessert spoon of hone, topped up with hot water. Delicious & soothing for sore throats.
The afternoon was spent drawing in advent journals, knitting, working on home made Christmas cards & gifts & watching a film.

This is not a good picture, but you can just about see the sock yarn drying in front of the fire that Rosie had dyed up for my Christmas gift. (I must forget all about it! LOL!)



The end of the day...



The girls are all bathed now, they have had their supper & were tucked up in bead early (6.30pm) Elianna will be sleeping with me again tonight.
And I must go & crack on with my Christmas knitting!

2 comments:

joc4jesus said...

Get well soon birthday girl. Love the snow pictures. Awesome. That used to be one of my favourite poems when I was a child. Being sick and snuggling on the sofa is a really nice childhood memory even if it feels rubbish at the time. Mine are either down with the pox or coming down at the mo so I have lots of cranky boys; hoping for a respite before Christmas. Lol.

Lynn said...

oh, Jo, I feel for you! I do hope they all get over it soon.
Lots of love to you & yours!
LX