Wednesday 24 November 2010

Getting Ready For Advent!



This is such a wonderful time of year!
Here is how I prepare for the first Sunday in Advent:

Set up our Jesse tree

Each morning at breakfast, we add a decoration to our Jesse Tree. We use the Jesse tree devotions here. However, I personally do not think all of the devotions are age appropriate for my children, so some of them I change or miss out altogether.
Our decorations are home made - some sewed from wool felt, some needle felted, some are simple pictures drawn by my girls.

Our Advent Wreath

In previous years & have used a huge iron thing, wrapped in holly & ivy, however this year I shall be using this wee ring

Our Advent Calendar

I hang this up - it is a simple thing with felt pockets - & a chocolate in each : )

Begin our Christmas Journals

The girls begin a new book each year - on Stir Up Sunday. They decorate the cover with old Christmas cards & stickers. We are off School for December (more about that in another post), so we use it for recording sketches, photos etc throughout advent.
You can see one from last year here
I have a simple journal that I have kept for years. Priceless!

My Christmas devotional reading

This year I shall be reading Immanuel: Praying the Names of God Through the Christmas Season

Choose the childrens evening story book

This year -Advent Storybook: 24 Stories to Share Before Christmas

Begin our Nativity scene.

We have a lovely pottery set that I bought as a newly wed. It goes on our Nature table. Animals, Mary & Joseph, shepherds , baby Jesus on Christmas day & finally, on The Epiphany, the Wise Men.

Bring out our play Nativity set.

You can see the one we have here It is a treasure. I have to confess to playing with it myself : )

Play Carols

Over & over & over! I love it! LOL!

Bake our ‘Happy Advent’ cake

Very simple, always in a bundt tin, always with glitter.

Our Advent Family Worship will be as follows:

borrowed heavily from Kathy

Advent Week One

Scripture ~ Isaiah 9:2,6
The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

We light the Hope Candle

Themes to discuss
~God keeps His promises
~God promised to send a saviour
~Jesus promised to return


Prayer ~
Lord Jesus, We thank You for being our Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father & Prince of Peace. As we enter the Christmas season, give us grace that we may turn away from works of darkness, turn towards Your light. As You sent your messengers the prophets to prepare the way of salvation, may we prepare our hearts to celebrate the dawning of Your everlasting light.
In your name we pray, Amen.


Hymn ~ Away in a Manger

I hope to post more soon about our Advent school plans & our traditions for the advent season.
I would love to hear about your plans.

No comments: