Sunday 1 February 2009

An 'Off' Day

Today I had an 'Off' Day...
it began last night. I finished knitting a pair of socks for R & cast on a hat for my hubby. I did some reading & stayed up w-a-y too late. As i wearily climbed the stairs to bed, my head was aching, but not enough for me to miss the messy state of my home. Ugh!
I awoke this morning, head still aching, body aching & still feeling icky. My lovely hubby went to get the girls & took them downstairs for breakfast. They watched a movie together & went out to the woods for a long walk, all wrapped up on this bitterly cold morning. I stayed in bed. I did not sleep, but mulled over in my head some stuff that has been bothering me. This is not the place to share, but suffice to say, everyone has concerns & worries, I know.
I prayed, I read my Bible. I read my Knitting book, which contained the wonderful quote:
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)

It made me think..how my Heavenly Father does not expect perfection, just relationship. How He perseus us with unrelenting, endless love.
1 John 4:18:
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

I read some more & felt cosy & warm in my snuggly nest, watching throught the window as the dark, menacing skies gave way to bright light blue, with mere wisps of cloud.
This spurred me on & I felt the urge to tidy! I tidied, dusted & vacuumed all the bedrooms, showered & changed into fresh flannel pyjama's. By now, everyone had returned home from the woods. Here is a (not very good!) shot of R helping with the dusting



the girls did some sketching in their nature journals..a branch from a Horse Chestnut that we have on our nature table that has begun to grow new leaves..foiled into thinking it is spring come early due to the warmth of our home. And their hyacinths planted before Christmas, now beginning to flower.

We had lunch; roast chicken pilled high on buns, then the girls & I all got on my bed & snuggled. We listened to Paddington Bear & The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe while the girls played with the contents of their Sunday box



I cast on a shawl for E. she had finally decided what she wanted me to knit for her with this gorgeous yarn. And so was spent a lovely afternoon...knitting, playing, listening to lovely stories & watching snowflakes drift past the bedroom window. Bliss. I even had an afternoon nap :)



I made dinner, an easy, cosy meal of sausages & mash, made with potatoes, turnip, leeks, butter & cream. Followed by some swiftly made Shortbread & a Pineapple Upside-down cake that was baked yesterday.

So, for a day that began as an 'Off' Day, this day turned out pretty well. I must have more of these 'Off' Days :)

Finally, I must share a pic of Miss R in her new socks:

13 comments:

Jeanne said...

I'd love to have some off days like yours!!

Jeanne

Lynn said...

LOL! they dont usually go as well as this, I promise

The Yarn Owl said...

Wow, the socks look lovely! I've finished T's ones except sewing in the ends... I hat that job!!

Lynn said...

Thank you Alice! I hope he liked them?

Melissa said...

Lynn, I'm so sorry you weren't feeling well. But so happy to hear how well the day ended up going! Sounds like a beautiful, cozy, peaceful day off, we all need that occassionally.

Blessings, Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Lynn said...

thanks Melissa :)

Leah said...

SO nice to 'see' you - I've missed your posts :(

Loving your 'off-day', I need one of those!!

Lynn said...

thank you Leah. I have missed writing my blog.

Michelle said...

Love the socks, and that yarn is gorgeous! Glad you're back in the blogsphere. :)

joc4jesus said...

The fact that you have off days too makes me feel much better Lynn. I trust that you are feeling much better now. I love all your knitting projects. I am a wool addict myself. Crafting is just the best.
Take care
Jo

Lynn said...

Jo I have *many* 'off' days.
So, you are a wool addict too......

Valerie said...

I'm curious. What is a Sunday box. I missed reading your blog as well! I have been having trouble keeping up with mine lately.

Lynn said...

Hello Valerie! lovely to hear from you :)
here is a link to a post about our Sunday box:
http://raisinglittleshoots.blogspot.com/2009/02/our-sunday-box.html